Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Back to School Goals and New Buttons!

I think my blogging research is starting to payoff! Slowly but surely! After visiting a bunch of different blogs, I figured out how to add buttons to the side of my page. I now have a Fourth Grade Blogger, Kansas Blogger, and follow me on Bloglovin button. I know, I know, it's not a huge change, but I think it's pretty darn cool. 

I still need to work on the design of my page (it's awful right now), but I think I need to tackle one thing at time. Confession time: it feels weird to have a "Kansas Blogger" button. I will always consider California my home, but I do live in Kansas now, so I'm officially a Kansas blogger. Weird :)

So today I am trying something new. In all the blogs I've read, the writers are always linking up with each other for fun activities, so figured I'd give it a try. The real question is if I can even figure out how to do this right!

I'm linking up with Jessica at I {heart} Recess for her Monthly Goals: Back to School Edition Linky. I'm so excited for this to be my first link up. Hopefully all goes well!

Personal: Working out has been tough since I officially finished my basketball career. It's hard to stay in shape when you aren't required to be at practice. It's been a struggle, but over the summer I worked hard and completed the "30-Day Guns, Buns, and Abs Challenge". I was so proud of myself, but then what did I go do...took a break of course. All that work for nothing! My goal is to do some sort of exercise at least 5 days a week. I always feel better when I do!

Organization: This is a big one for me. I was a long-term substitute in a 5th grade classroom and I was the absolute worst at putting grades in the computer. I would grade things quickly and write the grades in the paper grade book, but for whatever reason wouldn't put them in the computer right away. It would pile up, and eventually I'd have to spend a few hours on a Sunday entering grades. My goal is to just get it done right away to save myself the headache later on!

Planning: I got into a really bad habit last year during my long term sub position. For the word work section of guided reading, I had a hard time planning ahead. A lot of times I wouldn't come up with an activity until that morning. So awful of me! This year I want everything planned out for the week. Obviously things happen during the week and I'll have to change my plans, but at least I'll have a starting point for every day! 

Professional: In the past, I have attempted to use Kagan Structures and have failed miserably. Honestly, I had a negative attitude towards Kagan because of my failures. After attending a Kagan workshop, I have a complete new perspective. If I don't do every part of the structure correctly, then of course it's going to fail! Now that I actually know what I am doing, I am determined to implement these structures into my lessons. 

Students: My goal for students is to help them realize that learning can be fun. This is my first year teaching and I know that at times I am going to struggle and feel way over my head, but I can't get down on myself or my students. I need to find things that they are interested in and bring those things into every day lessons to hold their attention. I want my classroom to be a fun, inviting place for every student.

Motto: I found this motto online, because I had a hard time thinking of one. I really like it though. "The secret in education lies in respecting the student" - Ralph Waldo Emerson. So many times we may have a negative attitude towards those tough to deal with students. Those students quickly realize your attitude towards them and it's downhill from there. I believe if you show every student respect and show them that you actually care, they are much more likely to work harder for you.


Summer is pretty much officially over for me. Lot's of work left to do in my classroom!

2 comments:

  1. Found you through the Monthly Goals linky so you did it right! :)

    Love the motto you found. The one I shared was "They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." Pretty similar to yours...

    Best of luck for your first year teaching! Reading blogs (and blogging) are great ways to expand your thinking. Welcome to the blogging world!

    I'm a fellow 4th grade teacher and your newest Bloglovin follower. Let me know if I can help you with anything!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just started my blog also and am trying to learn all these new things! I am a fellow 4th grade blogger as well. I'm curious as to how you got the About Me writing underneath that area. I'd like to add something there too.
    Abbey
    http://teachertalkwithmrst.blogspot.com/ (I don't know how to get my blog link to show up here either! I know it's a pain to copy and paste the URL, but that's all I know right now! Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete